Need to leave the rented house to rent an apartment to prepare for the divorce

Now i am maried with my wife and our 2 Young children. We are leaving in the rented house but things are going bad so to prepare the alsolute divorce, i need to got out and rent my own appartment.
My question:
Is it legal for me to continue paying the rented house if my wife decide to stay on that because i want to remove my name from the lease contract ?

Thanks for your advice and clarification.

If you separate and you are the one to move out, and assuming you are the supporting spouse, then yes, you should continue to pay the rent at the home for your wife and two children as voluntarily family support. It is up to you and your landlord as to who the landlord will accept rent payments from, but most likely the landlord will accept rent payments from you on behalf of your wife, even if your name is not on the lease contract.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.