Next step

We finally have our separation papers signed and notarized and Quit Claim Deed! I will be submitting the Quit Claim Deed electronically to be recorded. Do we have to wait for the to be recorded before filing online for absolute divorce?

No, you can file for absolute divorce at any time after you have been separated for one year. You will want to ensure that equitable distribution (property settlement) is fully resolved in the separation agreement before the absolute divorce is granted.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.