No Contest, No Arguments

Dear always:

Greetings. The quickest way to get this over with, is to sign a valid separation agreement and then live separate and apart. Then, you can wait for the divorce, since neither of you will qualify for residency in another state as long as you both live here. Also, you do not want to commit perjury and say that you were separated when you were not. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My husband and I have agreed we both want a divorce. We are very civil about it, nothing ugly. We agree that he keep his 401K, I keep mine – one child wants to live with me, the other wants to live with him. Both kids will be out of high school soon. He will accept his credit card debt as his, and me as mine… we already have separate checking accounts. We are selling the house and agree to split the equity. We have not shared a bed/bedroom for over a year. He wants to gete a “quickie” divorce from out of state because of the separation requirement in NC. We cannot afford separate residences. What is the cheapest way to get this over with as soon as possible. What should we do next?