No Money

Dear CarmelD:

Greetings. Yes, he can “legally” do that, although he may have to pay you back. You are entitled to half of all the marital property (funds) that were created during the marriage. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My husband and I have been together for 2 years and married for 9 months but we recently joined checking accounts. He is a stay at home father of two from a previous marriage but works part-time and I choose to stay with my career. When I joined his account he had a significant amount of money in there (we used his money for savings and retirement)and I have been depositing my work checks to the account for the last few months (using what I earn for the mortgage and household bills). Now that we are seperating, he took all of the money out of the account and left me with a few hundred dollars. Can he legally do that? What would I be intitled to?