Paperwork never received

My soon to be ex filed for divorce on May 15 but I was never served or mailed them. What does this mean. I actually went to the court house to find out and had them print them. When does the 30 days start?

The 30 days for you to answer/respond to the complaint begins when you are properly served. Proper service must be made by sheriff’s deputy, certified mail with a signature, or you signing and having notarized an acceptance of service form.

You going to the courthouse and making copies of what is filed is not proper service.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.