Parental right to access DSS record

If you file a lawsuit you may be able to subpoena a copy of the file. It is likely the file will be released directly to the Judge and the judge will release the relevant portions of the file.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Four years ago, my 4 year old daughter was beaten by her bipolar mother and received bruises which remained over a week on her buttocks. My attorney and DSS took pictures and DSS investigated and participated in the legal proceedings. I have joint custody of my daughter and her mother is raging again now, very similar to the time of the last abuse, emotionally abusing my child, and I am very scared for her safety. I went to DSS to obtain the records of the past abuse, which her mother denied at first but later confessed to DSS. They have pictures and records that I need to try to obtain control of this situation for my daughters safety (primary custody and/or full custody. What are my rights? I was the one who reported the abuse and allowed them to take the pictures.