Past child support help

Did sign anything when you changed the visitation? This looks like it may be problematic…I would talk to a lawyer and I’d also start gathering receipts and anything that would prove that the kids have been with you for more time than originally specified.

Unfortunately, she can do this. Child support cannot be modified retroactively and unless you filed something formally changing the child support about, you may find yourself on the hook for past support. You should take your paperwork to an attorney as soon as possible.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My ex and I signed a separation in 2001 indicating I pay $800 a month for 2 kids unless changes in her job status and I would have 9 days of visitation. After a few weeks she asked me not to give her the child support but to begin keeping the kids every other week and I have done so ever since. She also stopped working consistantly for several years. She has recently stated she was going to take me to court for the unpaid child support. I have faithfully paid there expenses while at my house and often when they were at her house. Can she do this?