Child Support Question

The reason is due to Federal Law, the guidelines state that this is a self support reserve case due to your ex

Ok. Thank you.

Sure, one other thing-you can file a motion to modify child support since more than 3 years have passed since support was determined. If your ex is earning 15% more now than he was in 2004, child support can be modified, and calculated on your current incomes.

Erin E. Clarey
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

Raleigh Office
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 943.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

When Legal Aid did the child support for me in 2004, the legal aid lawyer told me the amount would be about $300 a month for my two children. I was happy with that number, but she later called me back saying she had made a mistake and that the monthly payment would only be $59.00 a month for two children. His income was shown as $902.00 and mine was $1295.00. The children are with me 365 days/nights and there are no other expenses to consider nor any other children in the mix. I put these amounts in the online calculator and it says the amount should be $254.57.

Could there have been a mistake with the initial amount?? If so, how is this fixed? Would it be adjusted back to the original date meaning he would be in rears all that much more?? He’s currently in rears about $300 with the $59 payment right now. How would I even get this looked at?

Am I missing something here?? How can these amounts be so different and how did she come up with $59.00?

At the bottom of the child support obligation worksheet, it says ‘Support Obligation calculated using only non-custodial parent’s income.’

Why would they do that when I provided my income??? The legal aid lawyer did not explain any of this.
When I used the calculator with only his income, it shows $50. Why would it be figured that way??