Child support

I can tell you what happened in our situation when my husband’s commissions fell off dramatically and his company could not even deduct child support…he had to make it up.

Sorry to hear that you are having financial difficulties. If he properly filed a motion to modify pss and child support, and there is a legitimate reason he could not work, the court may modify support for those months.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My ex husband, who runs his own buisness, had to take a 2 month leave of absence for medical reasons and during this time is not paying child support or spousal support. He did not inform me he was not going to be able to pay and I found out about it from my attorney. I work, but we have not divided property so I have no savings. I live month to month on my salary, and the PSS award. I had to secure a loan to meet the financial demands of my family.

I thought he was asking the court to allow him to pospone his CS/SS obligation until he returned from his leave of absence but he is asking the court to excuse him of payment for 2 months. He has assets and owns property, so he is not broke.

What is the likely chance he could be excused? I had to borrow money to make ends meet during this time.