Pay half of house maintenance bills if I'm not in the house?


Hi, my husband and I have been separated for 7 months. I moved out to be closer to work. Our house is paid for and the only expenses are utilities and taxes. He keeps bringing things up that he wants me to pay half of; ie. stain for the deck and supplies, termite control, and of course personal property taxes. I have not received any money from him since I moved out and am completely on my own paying rent. He does not pay rent or a mortgage. He is saying I need to pay 1/2 of the items mentioned because it’s half my house too. In that case, he should pay me rent. Should I have to pay for these things and can I get him to give me rent or half my rent as well?
Thank you.


You do not have to pay for one-half of these expenses unless you have a court order or separation agreement obligating you to do so. However, any bill that is in your name (for example the property taxes on the marital residence), you will want to make sure is paid in full, and you may need to contribute funds to ensure this.

Your husband is not required to pay for half of your rent.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.