Phone calls recorded

my husband, currently going thru divorce, and I were talking and he was recording the calls. I said some uncomplimentary things about a new guy i have been seeing, He told me later he had recorded the calls and would let the new guy hear what I had said about him. I believe this was a threat to get me to go easier on him during the division of assets phase, Can he play those recordings? If he does do I have a legal right to sue him or claim character damages or some other legal action against him?

thank you in advance!

If the phone calls took place in NC, then it was legal for your husband to record the phone calls assuming he was also aware that it was being recorded.

He could divulge these calls since they were presumably legally recorded however, this would go against his best interests. He has an incentive to negotiate with you and settle equitable distribution but by releasing the recorded conversations to the new guy just to be mean and spiteful will make the situation worse on him because you will no longer be willing to attempt to reach an amicable property settlement.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.