Poor Performance at School

My ex has custody of our son. He failed 1/2 of his classes last semester and is performing VERY poorly in 1/2 is classes this semester (low D or F). He does well (B’s and A’s) on tests IF he takes them. The school consistently says he doesn’t turn in homework, is unprepared and is absent on days when there are quizzes or tests and doesn’t make them up. He has skipped many classes and is frequently late to first period (at least 25 - 50% of the time). It is highly unlikely he will be promoted to the next grade. I’ve tried to follow-up with his mother and am never able to get report cards or updates from her. Recently, he missed turning in an important project that counted as a test grade even though I followed up with her repeatedly that it was due and all she said was ‘he said he did it’. She has not notified us of his poor performance or attendance issues. We find out all issues directly from the school. Despite repeated requests, she will not provide report cards.

Is failing school and the custodial parents unwillingness to communicate and address the situation a viable complaint for contempt? (the order says she is responsible for communicating on issues regarding the child including school performance . . . which she hasnt). We have joint custody with visitation.

with joint custody – you can request copies of report card from the school – with my husbands ex – she would not provide anything to him – we had to go straight to the school or pay the school a visit to get copies of report card-- I also got emails of his teachers to directly communicate with them as to how everything was going in each of his classes. Keep all documentation of any communication from school - emails, report cards to show his decline in grades… This helped a lot when we took her back to court for change of circumstances. We were able to show his decline since the last court date. My step son was also failing a lot of classes because he was out and would not make up any of the work. He has too many absences and tardies. A copy of his attendace report for several years also helped us show about his numerous absenses. We were able to get primary joint custody from her because of him not doing well in school.

Yes, you may file a motion for contempt.