Pro Se Divorce Questions

  1. The clerk will probably have this form available for you to pick up.

  2. No, you must attempt to serve them via certified mail, fed ex, or personal delivery before attempting service via publication.

The newspaper you intend to publish in should be able to provide you with the form you need for a legal notice.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I am about to start the Pro Se divorce prcess, and I have a few questions regarding a few of the steps:

1.) In Cumberland County, the directions say I have to submit a CERTIFICATE OF ABSOLUTE DIVORCE to the Clerk of Court. Where do I obtain this from? Can I just go to the Clerk of Superior Court and fill this out on the spot, when I turn in my other forms?

2.)The X lives in California, and I’m not entirely sure of the address in which to mail the documents via Certified mail to. Even if they are mailed, I’m not sure the X will sign and return the green card necessary to move forward.

Can I just move directly forward with service by publication? What newspaper must I publicize the notice in - the county of their last known address??? Also, what exactly do I need to state in the publication? Is there any specific form, or does anyone have a sample of this they can show me?

I appreciate any advice anyone can offer- thanks!