Property Abandonment

I am unsure of what the law would be but my suggestion is that if you have a signed agreement you could send her a letter. Let her know in the letter that you will be moving the specific items to a storage building. You will pay for one month storage. Give her the key, code, whatever and let the owner know that the storage building after the first month will be the responsibility of your spouse…
IMHO this is fair and easy way of dealing with this. You will make your spouse aware that you are not going to renegotiate or continue to be used as storage…

If you use storage, you may want to remind your ex that only one month storage is being paid for by you(if that is what you plan to provide). Most storage places give you notice of non-payment (give them HER number) and if you don’t come get the stuff in their timeline, then they open the unit and sell the merchandise auction style. You may want to check with the storage facility and see what their policy is.

SOunds like you’re going to have to take the next step and that would mean moving her stuff yourself and renting the unit. Keep a copy of the letter, your agreement and the storage agreement. Make sure the storage unit place has her address, phone, etc.

Do the terms of your mediated settlement agreement require her to get the property within a specific time period? If not, you may be stuck holding on to these items until she comes to get them, you may also sue her to breach of contract for refusing to pick them up and ask the court to set a deadline for her to get them.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My spouse was awarded specific property in the stipulations of our mediated settlement back in January. She has refused to come collect the belongings on three separate occassions when I have made the days available to her. She often cites other priorities, but in reality I think she is disappointed that the distribution left out some things she forgot about. Although she wants her stuff I believe this is a ploy to try to get me to reopen the negotiation so that I can finally get the stuff out of my house. Of course I am not about to renogotiate and open this all back up.

I was wondering what the property abandonement laws are in NC and what do I need to include in a notification to her if I want her to retieve the items or face disposal of the property. Can I charge her for storage fees (although none have been incurred)?