Property division/alimony 2nd marriage divorce

So first off, let me say that I am not planning on getting divorced if I marry again. I have already been through 1 marriage then divorce and I don’t want to go through the divorce part ever again. With that said, i am thinking about marrying someone in the next year or so, been seeing her for over 1 year now and it’s working out pretty well.

I make about 2x the income she makes per year. I have no debt except for my home mortgage and previous marriage child support obligation. I also own both of my later model vehicles outright. She has no assets. Has a car loan, lives in an apartment and has two small children 100% of the time- dad is out of state and never sees the girls- sad. My children are about 10 years older than hers and are in high school, one already in and one soon. I am in a pretty good financial position right now and will be in a better financial position once the child support ends.

How do I protect myself from the unthinkable, a divorce down the road. I do not want to lose my current assets and plan on keeping my house and rent out if we go down the path of marriage- we will buy a house together, probably only on my credit. I also do not want to be locked into alimony payments. I feel whatever we build together, we share in the event of a divorce. I feel whatever I have now will remain mine in the event of a divorce.

What is the best way to protect myself against all of these possibilities? Would a prenup do it? Or does NC laws already support what I am wanting to do?

thanks.

Yes, a pre-nup would be the best option for you since you have pretty different financial situations. If you want to protect your assets,the best thing is to get a pre-nup in place. You should consult with an attorney who will then draft an agreement for you.