Prenup

Your income is not considered for child support. I am married to a man who was married before with a daughter. I earn more than my husband, and his ex can’t touch a dime of it! I don’t know about the debts, I wouldn’t think that you would be liable for anything that he did before you were married. But a prenup couldn’t hurt, you just have to draw up a contract with your lawyer and have him sign it.

Dear new_wife_:

Greetings. Yes, you are allowed to do this. It would be as simple as hiring an attorney to do this. No, his ex cannot fight the prenup. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I am getting married later this year and my soon to be husband was married previously. He has a daughter from his previous marriage and very bad credit from his divorce. I come from a fairly good family and make a good deal of money of myself. My parents and brother have suggested to me that I get a prenup before I get married so that I won’t be held liable for any debts he holds from his previous marriage, or before we are married, and also so that my income cannot be used for his child support obligation.
my question is … am i allowed to this, and how complicated would it be. Also, would his ex be allowed to fight the prenup if she wants more child support? this is all very complicated and I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you so much!