QDRO 20 years later

I have an equitable distribution order which includes the 401K that needs to be separated. I have the statement from when the order was given. It has been 20 years since the order and I want to file for a QDRO. My ex husband moved the 401K about 5 years ago and I cannot find any information on the account. Should I just file the QDRO and let the courts find the account?

You will need to locate the account before the QDRO can be drafted (each financial plan has particular requirements for their QDROs).

Since you have an equitable distribution order requiring that a 401(k) be divided, your ex-husband will need to provide the location of the account to you. Then the QDRO can be drafted.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.