Question about attorney and trust

Dear trapped:

Greetings. If your husband had already retained the attorney before you contacted them, then the attorney had a conflict of interest. One of the only responses that is allowed when you have a conflict of interest with someone that is calling your office is to inform them that you are not taking any more cases. Under the rules (that attorneys have to live by), we cannot tell the person there is a conflict.

Unfortunately, the attorney representing your husband could not tell you anything else, but the trust issue is understandable. I don’t think that you are supposed to trust his attorney, just your own. Sorry to hear that you were hurt by this, but I hope the explanation gives you more understanding. Thanks

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

While I understand if he was retained for anything that he could not take my case, but he had not, and I even called with my maiden name and was told before even mentioning my name he was not taking anymore cases. So that is not an issue here.

He actually did not even have an attorney until after the dvpo was served. That was a friday night and he was calling around town on monday looking for one because he actually called my attorney and was told by him they could not take his case. They said no more, but for an attorney to give me this elaborate story as to why and to go on about it? Why would he do that?

Dear trapped:

Greetings. I am sorry, but I have no idea why he did this. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Okay here is the situation. I was looking for attorney’s for filing a legal separation and divorce from my husband. The one attorney that I knew I wanted said that he was no longer taking any cases because he was retiring. There was an issue with him not wanting to take any cases that would have anything contested, but when I show up for court guess who is my husbands attorney that he hired AFTER I hired mine and got a restraining order on him. Yep, the first attorney I called.

Now why is that? I feel totally lied to and do not trust this attorney at all and feel like he is going to try to railroad me and my attorney. Why would an attorney turn me away, but then take my husbands case when nothing about the case has changed? There are some HEAVILY contested issues with our divorce. I just don’t understand.