Question Regarding Filing


My friend and his wife were married for 12 years and have now been separated almost 2 years. No equitable distribution, no kids, no alimony, etc. They were married in SC. She lives in SC, he lives in NC. He just wants to file for absolute divorce. Can he simply go to the courthouse and file the papers? Does he NEED an attorney for that? Can she contest it if nothing else has been served?



He may file on his own, and she must be served, either via certified mail or by the sheriff in her county of residence in SC.