Quitclaim deed

bean,

I would think yes, you have real property to split. When you said “he has signed over the property” I assume you mean the house. From what I have read here, a quitclaim deed removes him from the title. He could still fight you for half of the equity in the house. There are nuances though. Does the quitclaim deed state that it represents a division of marital assets? Does it reference NC 50-20? If not, (or even if it did) some attorneys would argue that he is still entitled to half of the equity. Hope this helps.

ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation … 50-20.html

Even though he has deeded the property to you, he has not waived his marital interest in the property. You do still have marital property to divide.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

ROSEN.COM

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I am at the end of the divorce process all but the property real and personal are settled. My husband signed a quitclaim for our property. I have begun the loan process with anticipation of a settlement. There is not a loan on the propety currently. We had a verbal agreement for the amount he would get but have hit a road block with alimony so he refuses to honor the verbal we had and now wants to proceed with the mediation process which is required. My question is do we have real property to settle? He has signed over the property to me. Do not know if this plays into the question but according to my attorney, the money used to pay our mortgage was an inheritance he received from the death of his parents, she told me that could gain sympathy with the court. Again do we have any real property to split.