Re-visiting child support

You should move to amend the support order as soon as possible based on the substantial change in your income. You probably will not be able to do so retroactively; if granted, the modification would be effective as of the date you first filed for the modification.

Lara Stanford Davis
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

my ex and have been divorced for 3 years. my income is not what it was when the original child support order was signed–it is at least six thousand dollars less per year than what it was, and i have absolutely no assetts–all of those were liquidated in order to pay some of the debts assigned to me–and i will still have to file chapter 7 bankruptcy for the rest. my question is whether or not i have to wait to ammend the child support order, and also, what needs to be included—ie: deductions that my ex has been doing–not court approved, my current expenses, and also, is there a chance that this could be retroactive, if i can validate that my income has not been what was originally stated it was on the original order–thanks–loganb58