Reference To: NC Child Support


Dear Lexa:

Greetings. I apologize that it took me so long to get your answer, but here goes right from the IRS itself with a contact number:

The Department of Treasury’s Financial Management Service (FMS), which issues IRS tax refunds, has been authorized by Congress to conduct the Treasury Offset Program. Through this program, your Federal tax refund, or the overpayment you asked us to apply to next year’s estimated tax, may be reduced by FMS and offset to pay any past


Janet, I cannot say “THANK YOU” enough.

I wish I could have you as my attorney, however, I don’t live in the county you practice in.

I did have some information from my research. However, you explain it better.

Thank you so much.


Dear Lexa:

You say such sweet things. Please let us know if you do receive the funds back for the unpaid child support. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Janet, thank you for answering my posts. This is a great site for information.

I did research this tax issue and did find out that I can garnish the paying parents’ taxes for child support.

To ALL those on this site that read my post, if you are interested, please contact the IRS and State tax office in your county.