Child support & tax refund

Your local child support enforcement office can assist you in getting the tax refund. Contact them directly.

Lee S. Rosen
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I live in the state of NC. If my ex and I are separated and he’s paying child support directly to me, but he also owes child support for the previous months that he didn’t pay will he get to pocket is tax refund when he files or will the refund go towards what he owes on child support?