Refinancing mortgage w/separation agreement in place

My husband and I have entered into a separation agreement where I receive ownership of the home. He’s signed a quit claim deed for our home where both of us are on the loan. I know I need to file that with the register of deeds office.

But do I need to do that before contacting the mortgage company about reassigning/refinancing the loan? Or do I need that document as part of the mortgage process?

It will either need to be recorded before the refinancining or coinciding therewith. Talk to your lender. Chances are, they will accept it being recorded in conjunction with the refinance, and you can get the closing attorney to handle the recording.