Retire Now?

I am an NC state employee with 24 years of service and eligible to retire now with reduced benefits. My marriage is on the verge of ending. I make almost double what my wife makes, so I’m looking at paying alimony for a 12 year marriage. Would it make sense to retire now and ride out my marriage for a little while, then if divorce happens be off the hook for alimony? I work two hours drive (4 hours round trip) from our martial residence and stay in that location all week before driving back to our marital residence, so I have a really good excuse to leave that job. I will not find a similar job near our marital residence, and if I could it would be a serious pay cut . My wife refuses to move closer to where I work.

Thank you

You need to do whatever makes the most financial sense for you. You may still owe alimony even after you retire based on the accustomed standard of living acquired during the marriage, however, if you are retired, you likely won’t be able to pay at the same level as you would if you were still employed and working full-time.

Alimony awards are based on 16 Factors and not on income disparity alone.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.