Retirement

Dear Brownjam:

Greetings. There is a lot more information which I need to answer this question. Lenght of marriage? Difference in income? Generally, the answer is “yes” she is entitled to half of your retirement. Nevertheless, she may also owe you alimony if she makes more funds. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

The marriage has lasted about 30 years. The last time I was going to leave, she showed up pregant. The child is now 18. I have two other children from my first marriage. Last year I made $25000 and she made $49000.

Dear Brownjam:

Greetings again. You are not going to like this, but once again, I do not have enough information. Prior to making any estimation on what will happen to a party’s assets I usually listen to them tell me about the marriage, detail all their assets, and then tell them what I think the options are. You have the ability to ask for alimony, but generally pensions are divided equally. Best of luck and let us know if we can help.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I am retired and am 35% disabled. I am in the process of filing for a divorce. I have my retirement is a 401K and it is my only income. My wife works two jobs. Will she still be able to get my retirement?