Retirement Benefits and/or Pension

Dear vsrrtp:

Greetings. You are entitled to half of all of the retirement and pension your husband acquired during the marriage. Be careful though, as retirement benefits are generally only divisible by a document attorneys call a QDRO (Qualified Domestic Relations Order). You will need an attorney to assist you if there are retirement benefits available.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I have been married for 25 years. My husband is seeking a divorce. I was an at home mom and have no retirement package. I have recently returned to work. My husband is a federal employee. What retirement or pension am I entitled in equitable distribution. Thank you.