Roomate with more info

(not an attorney) Of course you can. Just understand that any kind of physical relationship can muddy the waters and give the ex a reason to fight back.

Given the fact that you are members of the opposite sex moving in will make any alimony claim she has infinitely more complicated. She should consult with a lawyer before allowing you to do this.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I have a female friend that is going through a divorce and is going through some finance issues. She has kids and is looking for a roommate to help around the house with the bills and taking care of the kids. Is there a way I could move in and help out? I am a male. She is in the presses of getting a job and the cost of daycare is too high for her to handle. I was friends with both parties when they where together. I am in no way the reason for the divorce. Her husband has abandoned her and left her with the kids and nothing else, and I am willing to help her out. I am also looking for a place to stay and she needs help and I am willing to help out and remove some of the stress that she is going though.