Selling a vehicle

I have a vehicle titled in my name only, and we are in the separation agreement process. Am I legally allowed to sell my vehicle (which I have a loan for(my name only)) and only purchased it a few months ago? So I really don’t have any equity in the vehicle yet, but it would allow me to free up my cash flow.
I have another vehicle in my name that is paid off which my spouse if fighting me for even though she has a vehicle in her name which she claims in non-operable. Is it really non-operable if it only needs battery and windshield which I’m offering to pay for?
Thanks for your help

Marital property should not be sold, disposed of, etc. prior to the equitable distribution process being complete. However, if both parties consent, it is possible to sell the vehicle earlier, especially with a good reason such as freeing cash flow.

The other vehicle is likely “non-operable” if minimal repairs can be completed which would make it operable again.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.