Selling of house but now I live in Australia

Hello,
I left my husband and moved back to Australia with our then 5 year old and at 34 weeks pregnant because my husband decided he wasn’t happy and he found himself a new girlfriend, we had bought a house together in September 2019 and lived in it together and paid the mortgage together till I left in December 2019, he stayed in the house and continued to pay the mortgage and is now looking at selling the house and has only offered me $5000 out of the possible profit of $20,000, shouldn’t it be 50/50? I just want to know what I’m entitled to

Assuming the divorce/equitable distribution is taking place in NC, then you would be entitled to half of the marital value/marital equity at the date of separation.

Your husband would be entitled to a reimbursement of the principal payments (not interest or escrow) he made on the mortgage from the date of separation to the time of selling.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.