Separated and Engagement

Have you lost your mind? Assuming you’ve had sexual relations with this woman, then you have now put in legal jeopardy this sweet woman that words just can’t describe! Because your wife can sue her for criminal conversation. So now some really nice, innocent gal could be stuck right in the middle of a civil suit.

Male or Female, you folks just don’t get it … there’s a one-year waiting period for a reason. Even if your marriage can’t be worked out there are surely issues that all of us need to work on individually whether we were the guilty or injured party.

And if you are on the verge of being engaged why take that cheap-shot at your wife about her having a “fling.” Two wrongs don’t make a right! Yes, I’m a bit ill because I am tired of seeing people get involved in rebound relationships and leave in their wake a string of divorces and hurt feelings. That’s why I am terrified about the prospect of ever dating again … too many people with unresolved issues.

Dear plm1966:

Greetings. There are no rules against getting engaged while you are separated.

My suggestion is that you do wait to be free. Take the year to really decide if you want to jump back into marriage. Make sure you do some premarital counseling. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

After realizing that the ex and I were not good for wach other, we are in the process of getting divorced. But not before she had a fling that of course was my fault. I have moved on and meant someone that words cannot describe. My ex could care less as to use her words when she got caught in her fling, it was I am sorry, it was I did not meant hurt anyone !

What are the recommendations/rules about getting engaged while you are separated ?

All the ex and I are doing is waiting for that one year mark to be hit and freedom is had. Only 4 more months !!!

Patrick Maginnis