Separated Property Rights


I have been separated from my wife now for over 4 years and live in another state. She currently wants to refinance the house and get money to pay off some bills but to do this she wants me to take my name off the house and sign it over to her. If I do this before we are divorced am I signing away my rights to the house and the share of the house before I left?


The signing the deed, you would be giving your wife the full value of the equity for nothing in return. Presumably some of the equity is marital property to which you are entitled to 50% of.

You should not sign the deed to the house until you have either a separation agreement addressing equitable distribution or an equitable distribution court order. With one of these documents, which resolves all issues of marital property, then you can sign the deed to the house and your wife can refinance the house prior to an absolute divorce being entered.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.