Separation agreement clause

I would like to see an answer to this as well. I have a similar statement in my agreement.

bump… would like an answer please if possible.

Your waiver of alimony and post separation support was valid as of the date the agreement was signed, which means based on the language in the agreement, it would remain in full force and effect. I do not know if it acts as a waiver of your future right to alimony, I need to review the exact language in the agreement to tell you that.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Greetings all!

I am still trying to make heads or tails of what occurred during my mediation hearing last Friday with my attorney and my ex-'s attorney.

Back in 2003, we signed a separation agreement with a waiver of post separation support/alimony with or without divorce. Well, we reconciled in July of the same year and there is a clause under the general provisions of the separation agreement that states the following: “RECONCILIATION: In the event the Husband and Wife end their separation by reconciliation and resume marital cohabitation, the executory provisions of this agreement shall be thereby cancelled and rescinded, but all provisions hereof which have been executed shall continue in full force and effect unless and until they are cancelled or rescinded in a written agreement duly executed by both Husband and Wife. The property transferred and assigned pursuant to the property settlement provisions of this agreement shall remain the separate property of the parties as stated herein.”

Does this clause invalidate the entire separation agreement or just a portion of it? From what my attorney stated, I am NOT entitled to any post separation support or alimony due to the fact that the waiver of post separation support still remains in effect since neither of us executed a written agreement rescinding the clause when we reconciled back in July 03’. Opinions?