Separation Agreement


I signed a separation with my wife 4 years ago outside of court. I have paid child support regularly for years. Unfortunately, I lost my job and I can no longer pay the child support required. I am working odd jobs, but my income is less than half of what it used to be and my wife still wants the money. Is there anything I can do to decrease the amount I owe. Also, what can my wife do if I don’t pay it. Can she put me in jail?



No, she cannot have you put in jail. She may sue you for breach of contract, and you will have the opportunity to defend yourself based on your loss of income.

Is there any way to reduce the amount I am required to pay? Do I need a lawyer?

You may renegotiate with you ex, or if the child support guidelines calculate an amount lower than what you are paying now, you may institute an action for child support through the courts system. You do not have to hire an attorney.