Separation from a disabled spouse

If there was never a separation agreement drawn up and signed that he was financially responsible for himself and they are not divorced, I’m afraid that the facility would be well within their rights to request payment from her and also to release him to her care. She can file for divorce but I would think that may not happen quick enough for the current situation or the facility to be satisfied that she is not responsible for him.
Were there any papers signed when he went to the facility placing finacial responsibility on someone else or stating that the wife would not be financialy obligated to care for him? Is there any other family that can be contacted? Anyone that could get Power of Attorney for him?

She is not legally obligated to care for him, but may be legally responsible for his medical bills. She should consult with an attorney to figure out what she needs to do to try and minimize this risk.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

A friend has been separated from her husband since December 2007. Her husband suffered from a stroke and is now residing in an assisted living facility. No legal separation papers were ever processed. The husband is receiving disability and is responsible for paying for his rent at the assisted living facility. The wife was advised that the husband is behind on his rent and if the balance is not paid in full, the facility will release the husband to the wife. Is she legally responsible to care for him if they are currently separated?