Dear Anna Light:

Greetings. You need to start negotiating with your spouse for a separation agreement. I strongly advise that you seek the advice of an attorney and have them draft the agreement for you. Have I answered your question?

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Hi, My husband and I have been married about a year and a half. We have been together for over 3 years. We currently have 1 child together. Not a day goes by that we don’t fight or use the word divorce. I think both of us are at our wits end. We would like to try to make it work but it doesn’t look like its going to. I know that he wouldn’t contest to a separation and I know that we can reach an agreement on our daughter amicably. I just need to know what I need to do to start a legal separation. Thanks!

Anna Light

Anna Light