Dear Clayton:

Greetings. Since you apparently separated five (5) days after the date of marriage, you may just want to send her a letter reiterating the fact that she left on that date and you believe it is your date of separation. Also, you may want to advise her that she is no longer welcome in the marital residence and if she does come in, you will seek to have her charged with domestic criminal trespass. Keep a copy of the letter. Finally, you may want to check your credit report. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I married a Japanese citizen earlier this year and 5 days after the marriage she return to Japan. During this time, the trust level between us has eroded to the point to where the marriage is over. However out of the blue she shows up on my door step and wants to work things out. I do not feel anything for her. What can I do to protect myself from her and have her leave our country. She is not an American citiizen and does not have a green card. My home was purchase a few years before we were married and in actually we have never lived together in my home. So far I have not allowed her to enter my home. Since we were married in April of this year, I plan on filing divorce in April of 2004.