Seperate residence


Dear Pullingout:

Great question. I would argue that it does, but I would also need to know more about the building and if you still go into the marital residence on a daily basis for anything. If you do go into the marital residence, I would disagree that it would work for your separation. Also, I think that the building would need a separate address. So, my final answer is that I would need more information for a definite answer, but I think it could work if the building has a separate mailing address from the house and you do not go back into the house to get more stuff or use the “facilities”. Best of luck

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Does a seperate building on the same lot with the marital residence qualify as a seperate residence if I live in it during the time of seperation?