Seperation agreement

Does the separation agreement after a year become an order after an absolute divorce is granted? In other words do I need to redraft the separation agreement or name it something else or does it stay in effect?

A separation agreement remains in full force and effect even after an absolute divorce is granted unless there is a provision for rescission and the parties follow those terms to rescind it.

A separation agreement does not automatically become a court order after the absolute divorce is granted. A separation agreement remains a contract unless the separation agreement is incorporated into the absolute divorce judgment. If incorporated, the separation agreement is transformed into a court order.

You do not need to redraft your separation agreement or name it something else - it remains in effect.

Are there any Statutes of Limitation on the provisions in a Separation Agreement (not incorporated)? For instance, for filing Breach of Contract when the other party has intentionally caused undue delays and/or failed to abide by the terms? My ex husband agreed to convey the primary home by quitclaim deed, but has repeatedly either refused to do so, or taken steps such as filing fraudulent DVPO’s, fraudulent CPS reports (actions to cause me financial burden, so I couldn’t afford to sue him), outright LIED about having gone to the courthouse to complete the forms, etc. This has gone on for at least 6 years, and I still can’t refinance my house because I can’t get a clear deed.

If your separation agreement has both parties’ signatures notarized, then you have 10 years from the breach to file a breach of contract lawsuit. Otherwise, you have 3 years from the breach.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.