You can file for a divorce without having executed a separation agreement. However, be certain that you seek counsel from an attorney prior to filing for a divorce if you have any unresolved financial issues with your spouse, such as distribution of assets and debts.

Deborah M. Throm
Rosen Law Firm
1829 E. Franklin Street, Bldg. 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.265.0017 direct
919.321.0780 main voice

4101 Lake Boone Trail
Suite 500
Raleigh, NC 27607
919.256.1544 direct
919.787.6668 main voice

301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
704.644.2531 ext. 100

Was wondering if it was neccessary to have legal seperation papers to complete a divorce after the waiting period? Also would like to know about filing taxes no that I am seperated?