Seperation vs Divorce


If you both testify that you have been seperated for over a year and are willing to sign documents to that effect–be c-a-r-e-f-u-l–then you can both go to court and ask for a divorce. You probably don’t even need lawyers if it’s uncontested and simple, no kids involved. Go to your register of deeds and ask for the forms necessary to start the process, or check this website out, they probably have them too.


My ex-wife and I have been seperated for over two years. No seperation papers have ever been drawn up. We have amicably agreed on all issues. Decided it was time to go ahead and file for divorce. Do I need to have seperation papers drawn up specifying terms and then have divorce complaint executed or can all terms be placed in divorce complaint?