Dear shariB0822:

Greetings. First, have you settled the issues of alimony and property distribution? If not, you do not want a divorce until you do. Do you want half his retirement? If so, you cannot obtain it if you file for and receive a divorce judgment and no one has filed a claim for equitable distribution.

Second, you are still married for your filing status. Best of luck!

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

</font id=“Lucida Console”>
Hi, my husband and I began living apart 6/26/03 after 14 yrs.
We never went to a lawyer to legalize this. We bot reside in NC, and I was told that you don’t have to have anything on papers. We just can file for divorce after a year of living apart. Is this true??
I want to file my taxes, and I need to know what my filing status
is. Are we still legally married? I don’t want to get into any trouble with the IRS.

Thank you