Serving Defendant


Since my stbx knows that I am filing, can I just give him copies of the Complaint and Domestic Civil Action Cover Sheet? If so, do I then have to use the Affadavit of Service since I didn’t send it in the mail?


No, you must effectuate service in order for the Court to have jurisdiction. Service can be effectuated by sending the Summons and Complaint to the Defendant via certified mail or sheriff’s service. If you wish to simply give the papers to the Defendant he must option file an acceptance of service which waives the right to proper service.


How do you file an acceptance of service? Is there a form I can download to have him sign?


The Defendant will have to file it. Some counties have forms available at the court house.