Sharing Bedrooms

Sounds like there is more to this than just sleeping arrangements for kids. I shared a room with my baby brother when he was young and then with a sister and it didn’t affect me. When my step-son was 5 yrs old he could fall asleep anywhere, even with people talking or the TV blaring when he was tired.

There are no laws about children sharing bedrooms. Generally, this is left to the discretion of the parents. If you believe that one parent is not acting in the best interst of the children, you may use that as a basis to modify custody, however the mere fact that your stepson is sharing a bedroom would not be enough to change the custodial arrangement.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Voice: 704.307.4600
Main Fax: 704.943.0044

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by mal[/i] [br]Sounds like there is more to this than just sleeping arrangements for kids. I shared a room with my baby brother when he was young and then with a sister and it didn't affect me. When my step-son was 5 yrs old he could fall asleep anywhere, even with people talking or the TV blaring when he was tired.

My SS’s mother has stated the baby will not be in her room and will be sharing a room with SS. I’m sure you know every child is different, and my SS is a very light sleeper. We’re concerned that he will be woken up every time the baby gets up. He’ll be starting school and we’re worried how this will affect him at school, his mood, and personality in general. I shared a room all my life as well. But my sister and I were only 2 years apart in age. I’m older and when my sister was born she slept in my parents room until she could sleep through the night. A good nights rest just makes for a happier, more manageable child. At least that is what I have learned with my SS.

I would like to know the laws on children sharing bedrooms. What age difference is acceptable ect. My 4yo. step-son lives with his mother, her new husband and his 12yo. daughter. They all have their own room right now, but she is pregnant, and the baby will have to share a room with one of the children. By the time the baby is born, the 12yo will be 13 and the 4yo will be close to 5 and starting school. They have already said they do not plan on having the baby in their bedroom more then 2 months. Is it acceptable to have a baby that wakes up during the night sharing a room with a 5 year old in kindergarten. Is it ok for the 5 yo boy to share a room with the 13 yo girl? The only reason we are questioning this is we are afraid lack of sleep will affect the 5 yo in his first year of school.
Any info would be great. Thanks!