This sounds like grounds for modifying custody to me…

Dear 143:

Greetings. You may want to check with Child Protective Services to see if they think this is neglect. I would address your concerns in writing to her and ask her how she plans to make changes and address your legitimate concerns. Try to change this positively before using the court’s power. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

So I have just found out from my son that his mother’s new boyfriend is sleeping in the same bed as him and his mom. They all three share a bed together, except for sometimes when my son is forced to sleep on the couch. Can this be considered neglect or something? This is the second place she has lived in within the past year and 1/2, where there is not a room or bed for my child to sleep in. He always ends up sleeping with her in her bed but he is 5 now and I think it is getting ridiculous. Not to mention that now her new boyfriend has moved in and so my son has to share a bed with the both of them. It makes me so angry becuase I have a room and bed for him at my house.