Spousal support/alimony

Dear Shortydowop:

Greetings. You are entitled to alimony and you may be able to obtain an amount in the range of $500 - $1,000 depending on all circumstances. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Dear Shortydowop:

Greetings. You are entitled to alimony and you may be able to obtain an amount in the range of $500 - $1,000 depending on all circumstances. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Shortydowop,

There is no formula to calculate how much alimony you might receive, but based on our experiences, and the information you have provided, an alimony award of $500-$1000 is reasonable. Keep in mind that your husband also has to have the ability to pay the alimony. So, getting a large alimony award, based on your respective incomes, is unlikely. I agree that your situation is unfair, but it is also possible a court would allocate more of the debt to him. That should help ease your financial strain.

Best wishes to you!

Shonnese D. Stanback
Attorney
The Rosen Law Firm
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax
NCdivorce.com
email: sstanback@rosen.com

Dear Shortydowop:

File the claim for post separation support, alimony, and equitable distribution first. If you do not file for post separation support,alimony, and equitable distribution before your husband or you obtain a divorce judgment, you CANNOT FILE for support.

You may want an attorney to assist you with this matter, since attorney fees are recoverable in actions for post separation support and alimony.

In Wake County, you can hear post separation support (temporary support until the alimony hearing) within 90 days. You may receive discovery from your husband, which is requests for information, which you will have to properly finish before your husband will have to meet you for trial.

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out!

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

Dear shortydowop:

Greetings. You should have already filed for alimony and equitable distribution at the same time you filed for post separation support. You will either need to amend your complaint or answer is divorce complaint with a request for alimony and equitable distribution. I would try to file an amendment if I were you. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

shorty,

I know it’s none of my business, but it seems to me that you just need to get on with the seperation and your life and learn how to support yourself instead of trying to stick it to your soon-to-be ex-husband, hoping that the court will continue having him support you for the rest of your life while you meander.

The marriage didn’t work out. Everyone knows that there are two sides to every story and it takes two to tango. Two people cause a marriage to fail, TWO, not ONE. Beleive me when I say that the courts know this.

If you go for the jugular you need to be sure that he has nothing that he can disclose of you that might be tarnishing of your character because that would make you look extra bad in the eyes of the court.

It’s best to forget the past hurt and come to a fair settlement agreement and get it over with.

quote:
Originally posted by dennisthemenice
shorty,

I know it’s none of my business, but it seems to me that you just need to get on with the seperation and your life and learn how to support yourself instead of trying to stick it to your soon-to-be ex-husband, hoping that the court will continue having him support you for the rest of your life while you meander.

The marriage didn’t work out. Everyone knows that there are two sides to every story and it takes two to tango. Two people cause a marriage to fail, TWO, not ONE. Beleive me when I say that the courts know this.

If you go for the jugular you need to be sure that he has nothing that he can disclose of you that might be tarnishing of your character because that would make you look extra bad in the eyes of the court.

It’s best to forget the past hurt and come to a fair settlement agreement and get it over with.

dennisthemenice;
This is interseting:I see that today is your first day on site and you jump right to my issue at hand[:0]–are you my ex or his new partner in crime[?] Either way, this is for you::
You are so right, this is NONE of your business!![B)]And just to let you know, I have gone on with the separation and have been told by several people that I have since the separation, been a different and better person, inside and out!! And if you NEED to know, just like my soon-to-be-ex help to MAKE these bills that are sitting in MY FACE EVERYDAY, he needs to HELP PAY THEM. You dont know what went on in MY HOUSE nor do you know what I have gone through with this man for 21 years.How many people do you know now days they have gotten married at age 18 and stayed together for 21 years.I know what I did to keep it together!!I bet no one else will deal with him for 21 years!!And so you do know-- it can take ONE person to mess up a marriage–but believe me–it takes TWO to keep it together–and outsiders to stay out of it!!!What planet are you living on??? And just so you know–I have a job which I have held down for 15 years, plus I have been going to school nights for the last year and a half trying to get a degree so that I can have a better future for myself-and through this devasting separation, I still have held my grades down to keep a 4.0 GPA[:)]–AND NO THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS[V]–I know MY situation better than YOU DO–stick to YOURS!!!

Shortydowop

Shorty,
Yes that was my first post simply because I find it quite humorous that there are so, SO many people who are unwilling to take ANY blame whatsoever for the dissolution of a marriage. Those who are always looking to blame someone else totally, or who always play the “pity me I’m the victim” role have a devastating fault themselves in that they typically make themselves out to be “better” than the rest.

No, I do not know what went on in your marriage, nor do I care to know, but if you can’t sit there and honestly say that, not one single time in you marriage did you ever lie, undermind, or manipulate your husband in any way to get what you wanted, or did you ever run up the credit cards without concern knowing that you didn’t have to pay them back because “he” was the bread winner???, or deny intimacy to punish him in some way then ,YES, you are directly the cause of some of the problems in the marriage.

I don’t even know you, but I can guarantee you that you’re not perfect. Speaking of bills where did the bills come from?? Were these bills a result of things that you purchased?? If so then why should he continue to help you pay for them ESPECIALLY if you are getting to keep them???

I’m sorry, but it just soulds to me like you’re trying to break one off in him because you’re bitter. Learn to take care of yourself and get on with your life instead of trying to ruin his.

quote:
Shorty, Yes that was my first post simply because I find it quite humorous that there are so, SO many people who are unwilling to take ANY blame whatsoever for the dissolution of a marriage. Those who are always looking to blame someone else totally, or who always play the "pity me I'm the victim" role have a devastating fault themselves in that they typically make themselves out to be "better" than the rest.

No, I do not know what went on in your marriage, nor do I care to know, but if you can’t sit there and honestly say that, not one single time in you marriage did you ever lie, undermind, or manipulate your husband in any way to get what you wanted, or did you ever run up the credit cards without concern knowing that you didn’t have to pay them back because “he” was the bread winner???, or deny intimacy to punish him in some way then ,YES, you are directly the cause of some of the problems in the marriage.

I don’t even know you, but I can guarantee you that you’re not perfect. Speaking of bills where did the bills come from?? Were these bills a result of things that you purchased?? If so then why should he continue to help you pay for them ESPECIALLY if you are getting to keep them???

I’m sorry, but it just soulds to me like you’re trying to break one off in him because you’re bitter. Learn to take care of yourself and get on with your life instead of trying to ruin his.

dennisthemenice
Look whoever you are:Again this is NOT your business–why are you asking me questions about my BUSINESS–you say you dont care and you dont know me, so why is your attention on me?? And why do you not mention one time about something HE may have done wrong in/during the marriage[:0] I really feel good because I have your attention[:D]YOU are more worried about OUR BUSINESS than my husband seems to be!!![B)]NOW–What is your story–why are you even on this site–[:(!]SOMEONE has really made you sour, ha??[:(]–So again, mind your business and NO THANKS for your comments–they don’t matter–YOU handle YOURS–and I’m definitely going to handle MINE–AND I’M NOT GOING TO CONTNUE TO BE YOUR PEN PAL–I see that you like me and think of me, but I care not to continue this relationship with you–Good BYE[:)][V]

Shortydowop

Shorty,

To put it directly to the point the sole reason I replied to your post is because it’s really sad when you hear someone saying how they were taken care of and provided for (financially) during the entire marriage and now that it’s over they just don’t know what to do or don’t know how they’re going to make it on their on, so their only recourse is to try and get their soon-to-be ex to pay alimony on top of getting half of every asset within the marriage, which YOU have already stated that some as having been given to you in its ENTIRETY.

You yourself has stated “how your lifestyle has changed” since he left. Why do you insist on keeping the same lifestyle outside of the marriage if you’re not willing to work for it yourself??

It sounds to me like, one, either you’re very bitter at your ex and are going to try what so, so many women do and take as much as you can or, two, you’re too lazy to have to take care of yourself now that he’s gone so you’re going to try and force him to continue to provide for you.

As for me, I’m married and have never been divorced. I just find it rather appauling at how many individuals grovel in self-pity after a divorce instead of learning to take care of themselves.

quote:
Shorty,

To put it directly to the point the sole reason I replied to your post is because it’s really sad when you hear someone saying how they were taken care of and provided for (financially) during the entire marriage and now that it’s over they just don’t know what to do or don’t know how they’re going to make it on their on, so their only recourse is to try and get their soon-to-be ex to pay alimony on top of getting half of every asset within the marriage, which YOU have already stated that some as having been given to you in its ENTIRETY.

You yourself has stated “how your lifestyle has changed” since he left. Why do you insist on keeping the same lifestyle outside of the marriage if you’re not willing to work for it yourself??

It sounds to me like, one, either you’re very bitter at your ex and are going to try what so, so many women do and take as much as you can or, two, you’re too lazy to have to take care of yourself now that he’s gone so you’re going to try and force him to continue to provide for you.

As for me, I’m married and have never been divorced. I just find it rather appauling at how many individuals grovel in self-pity after a divorce instead of learning to take care of themselves.

dennisthemenice YEAH,YEAH,YEAH--------------------hum–
IF you are married and never been divorced, why are you even on this site[:0]-I find that really SAD-SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THAT PICTURE–why aren’t you with you partner doing something productive–other than worrying about me–believe me I’m FINE and I’M GOING TO BE ALRIGHT–you must be really bored–IF I was still MARRIED and HAPPY, I sure as heck would not be drifting on a divorce question/answer/information website–how about you other guys/gals[?]Reread my other replies to you–that covers everything I have to say to you!! Like I said–you seem to be more worried about MY BUSINESS than my soon to be ex is[?][?] THANKS/NO THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR WORTHLESS OPINIONS–I really think you must dream about me[:D]–If you don’t mind, please go on with your life–you are the weakest link–GOOD BYE!![:D]

Shortydowop

My husband and I have been married for 22 years and are now separated (only 2 months). He has been the sole bread winner in the home for 22 years. I make $11,000-12,500 a year. He makes $35,000 a year. Our kids are 18 an 22 and in college. I need support–I can not pay these bills and my whole life style has changed in just 2 months. We separated because of a domestic violence situation. Can I receive spousal support and about how much can I be awarded? Also he is living with another woman already–what can I do about the adultry—to him and to her? Once I do get spousal support, how does the alimony fall in place? I need help in all directions before I lose my house, car, and MIND!!!

Shortydowop