Alimony - How to Calculate

Dear Cindle:

Greetings. Based on your facts, you could argue for $3,000.00 to $5,000.00 of alimony. But, since you are trying to work this out as amicably as possible, I would suggest that you determine how much you need to live the same way (or as close to it as reasonably possible) without his income. Then, tack on a bit more for the adultery and you should be good. Just make sure that you have the provisions drafted correctly by an attorney - to ensure that you actually get your funds. Best of luck!

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Janet,

Thanks for the info.

Can you please clarify:

The $3 to $5K - is that a monthly or annual figure?

Duration? Is one half the number of years married valid?

Dear Cindle:

I meant the amount as a monthly amount. I also think tht half the length of the marriage may be a good duration for the alimony, but there are a number of factors which may make the duration longer or shorter. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Hello Everyone,
First my sympathies to all who need to use this forum.

I have a question re: alimony.

I am a dependendent spouse, my husband has performed marital misconduct.

We have tried for a year to reconcile, but it’s not going well. We have decided to separate and are trying, pretty sucessfully, to negotiate a separation agrmnt ourselves.

My question concerns alimony - is there any kind of guideline anyone can give me regarding a fair and equitable amount and duration for alimony? We have been married 18 yrs, no children, he makes low six figures, I make medium five figures. I am not looking to be punitive in any way.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Cindle