Spouse Not Abiding By Property Settlement


Dear smorris:

Greetings. If you have a properly drafted/executed separation agreement, then your recourse is a breach of contract action. I would speak with an attorney if I were you. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


My husband prepared our separation & property agreement, and filed divorce papers without assistance from counsel. Three years later, he has not abided by the property settlement that he personally prepared. What steps should I take to ensure he honors this arrangement?