SSD for child of disabled parent

Please see my response to your previous question on this issue.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I have to fill out a form year that The Social Secuirty Administration sends me that ask me to account of money received by my depends that receive SSDI because I ( the parent) am disabled.

In the Child Support Guidelines Commentary under Income, the following is listed as instructions for child support calculations:

How does SSDI play a role in a Child Support Modification? I was recently approved for SSDI and my case is going up for a modification. I only received my findings, not the income yet. My income from SSDI will be $1096 per month yet I’m being computed at minimum wage already, will that change or stay the same?

Any information that will prepare me for no surprises would be helpful.
thank you.

You should no longer have income imputed to you if SSD came through. The amount of SSD is attributed to you as income, and any benefit awarded for the benefit of the child are deducted from your obligation.

If I’m CP then his CS order will go down by that amount?

Also does that mean the income imputed for me is my actual SSDI amount?

Support will be calculated using SSD (amount received by him) as his income, the amount you receive for the children will be subtracted from his obligation.

If income is imputed to you that will remain the same.