Child support

I forgot to include the fact that I get military disablity also. I am concerned that if he stops receiving SS then the children will stop getting it and I won’t be able to get anything from him. I am filing myself for divorce myself. We get along fine and he sents shoes and brings money every now and then. I am currently in another state and we will be returning to nc and I want to know how to handle this delicate issue.

All income he receives from any source would be included in his gross income. I would reccomend you use the Child Support Guidelines on our website and figure out how much he would owe you after taking into account the total income each of you receives.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Voice: 704.307.4600
Main Fax: 704.943.0044

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My husband gets military disability and social security and the children get social security based on his status. For two sons ages 6 and 3, SS gives them 184.00 each a month. I wonder should my husband be providing more support for them? I am a law student with no income and he has been diagnosed with schizophrenia, I don’t want to be unfair, but I don’t want to get tricked.